Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Ice Follies


I learned something new about ice during our latest winter storm – when it rains on your car and then freezes, it's almost impossible to open the door, especially when your driveway is frozen solid and you can't get any traction.  That's when the average person says, "oh yes, I have the perfect excuse to call in sick and crawl back into bed."  The problem is I'm not your average person.  I'm that guy two standard deviations to the left of average your mother warned you about.  I come from a long line of "interesting" people, like my grandfather on my father's side who put skis on his airplane so he could make house calls to his patients in weather like I'm experiencing right now.

Nothing says I love you like telling your wife you'll follow her to the ends of the earth and she holds up two one-way tickets to Yakutsk.  The Yakutski's live quite differently from your typical American.  They don't go overboard with two-car garages and they live within their means.  I'm slowly adopting their customs.  That's why I have a blanket of ice on my car this morning.  The Mrs. parked her car in the one-car premium indoor parking stall and I used my Honda to make an ice statue.  My neighbors may look at the frozen shell and think, those poor California people stayed home today.  They can't hack it.  Nope.  I'm keeping up with the Yakutski's.  It's almost time to go outside and seize the day.  Have a great day.

No comments: