Friday, March 20, 2015

False Labor Prepares You for Real Labor


The labor pains I was experiencing leading up to St. Patrick's Day appeared to be false.  My book was scheduled to be born on March 17.  Things got complicated when the head didn't show up on the ultrasound.  My heart dropped.  I learned something every parent already knows, babies have their own schedules.  Books are no different.  The birthing process is complicated for novelists and often extends well beyond the typical nine month pregnancy period.

There's a difference between false labor and real labor for writers.  False labor occurs when the doctor tells you to go home, it's not time yet.  This process gets you ready for the real deal.  Your senses are heightened.  You get a surge of energy.  Then, everything falls into place and you head into the delivery room knowing you are ready.

The most important lesson I learned during my book writing journey is the Serenity Prayer.  It helps you get through the false labor pains and comforts you during real labor.  I memorized it.  It's a great breathing technique to use when the doctors tell you your baby novel has no head...

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, 
the courage to change the things I can, 
and the wisdom to know the difference.

By the way, I located my baby's head in Spain.  It turns out I can't have custodial rights to the photo for my front cover.  A new cover is under construction from some talented local artists in my community.  The revised due date is the last week in March.  Have a great day.

No comments: