Friday, January 9, 2015

The Rest of Your Life


"When I come back in three years I bet you're going to be a smoothie expert," our son said shortly before he departed for boot camp.  He knows me well.  My approach to life is similar to making smoothies.  You get up every morning and put the best ingredients into a blender, shake things up a little and then savor every drop.  I believe the rest of my life really is the best of my life.  I feel like I'm just getting started.  Life is fun.  There are so many opportunities.  I keep thinking to myself, what else can I put in my blender today?  What's missing?  Should I plant a garden in my backyard and grow my own ingredients?

My mind races, even as I'm typing today's story.  Visions of a raised garden made from recycled products dance in my mind.  The negative voices creep into my mind while I'm on the high speed setting.  They whisper, "you can't do that.  You're publishing two books this year.  How are you going to find time to plant a garden?  You're an idiot!"

"Hush," I tell them.  "You're interrupting my creative process.  I don't have time for you today or any day.  I can do this.  I will do this.  The decision is made.  I'm planting a garden after the snow melts and the weather warms up."

Enjoy the rest of your life.  You have the power to make it the best of your life.  Thanks for visiting.  For those of you who may be in touch with our youngest son, please don't tell him about the garden idea.  I want to surprise him.  Have a great day.

No comments: