Sunday, January 4, 2015

3-2-1, Blastoff


"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

The moment of truth has arrived.  Last night, our youngest son led the family in prayer as we held hands and gave thanks.  Shane's prayer confirmed what I already knew – he's ready for the adventure of a lifetime.  An army sergeant will be knocking on our front door this morning.  Shane will answer the call of duty to serve as an infantryman.  His bag is packed.  He's traveling light.  I hear Gladys Knight and the Pips in my head.  They're singing their hit song, Midnight Train to Georgia, while I pen today's story.

The Bible verse you see above was given to me by a friend who posted it on Facebook yesterday in response to my challenge about living in the "zen zone."  She wrote, if your challenge involves this quote, I'm in.  "Yes," I responded, "it is about this verse."

The best gift you can give your children is to let go of them at the appropriate time and let them reach for the stars.  They have dreams.  They have hopes.  And God has a plan for them.  I've seen glimpses of the plan during my parenting years.  Now the plan is becoming a reality.  I'm thankful for every day I was granted temporary custody.  I rejoice that our son is living his dreams.  Starting today, I begin my new role – army dad.  That position includes one vital component – pray continually.  I promise to do my job every day.  It's time.  3-2-1, Blastoff.  ¡Vaya con Dios, my son!  My prayers are with you.

No comments: