Tuesday, January 20, 2015

3 Ideas to Develop Winning Habits


I've been reading a number of stories lately about people who found a way to get out of debt.  My motivation is to find patterns others use to achieve their most challenging goals and debt reduction seems to be at the top of the list for many, including my household.  The common thread for those who pull it off is the development of winning habits.  The first thirty days are the most critical.  If you can survive thirty consecutive days working on a new habit, odds are you will stay on course.  Here are three tips to help you develop winning habits.
  1. Have a serious talk with your inner self.  You need to get your subconscious mind to understand why your new habits are so important.  In my case, I know I have only a small chance for success if I'm not on top of my game.  I can't afford any distractions.  I need my brain to be my ally not my opponent.  It's a partnership.  If my subconscious is on my side, the new habits can stick.
  2. Concentrate on one new habit every 30 days.  For the new year, the first habit I'm forming is  using my Vitamix at least once a day to make smoothies.  Today is the 27th day in a row.  It's fun.  I keep adding new ingredients.  My brain is fully on board because it recognizes the benefits it receives when I feed it properly.
  3. Don't allow the old habits to die.  Think about your goals as spinning plates.  You get the first one started.  Once it's moving, you can add the second plate.  Most of your attention is on the new plate but you check up on the other plates to make sure they are still spinning properly.  Keep those plates spinning.
Let me know how you're doing spinning those plates.  I'll have more updates for you soon.  Have a great day.

No comments: