Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Lightning Strike at Our Home Captured on Video


I opened the sliding glass door to our patio yesterday and shot this video during a massive Iowa storm.  A lightning bolt struck our home at :06 seconds, knocking out our TV in the basement.  I was standing inside when the bolt hit.  The TV was hooked up to a surge protector but that didn't help.  Our chihuahua ran under the dining room table and barked while the power blinked several times.

About thirty seconds prior to the strike I was praying while watching the tornadic winds thrash the surrounding trees and whip the clouds around as if they were in a high-speed blender.  Sheets of rain were pounding our tiny Midwest town.  I looked up and prayed, "Show me your power, Oh Lord."  I don't really know why I chose those words but that was what popped into my head just before our home took a direct hit by a bolt of lightning.  The thunder was not instantaneous.  It shows up a couple of seconds later.  It's a mystery to me why I didn't hear the thunder as soon as the bolt struck our home – just like it's a mystery how God chooses to answer our prayers.  His response was quick, direct, flashy and thunderous.  It gives new meaning to the Bible verse, "Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him; and all peoples on earth will mourn because of him.  So shall it be! Amen."  ~ Revelation 1:7

What is your prayer today?  Do you expect an answer?  Just remember this, if you ask God to show you his power, make sure you're standing inside your home and your TV is unplugged.  Surge protectors are useless against his awesome power.  He will answer but he doesn't want any distractions.

No comments: