Monday, July 14, 2014

Wherever you are, be all there ~ Jim Elliot


Today is our oldest son's first day in Ireland.  He left his computer behind.  Before departing yesterday, he told my wife, "I want to be in the moment."  I will never forget how he declared to me at the beginning of the year, "I'm going to Ireland."  He didn't care how many hurdles there were, like the application process which included writing an essay and a series of interviews.  Or the financial challenges.  Ryan was all in.  He wasn't going to let anything get in his way.

Ryan and I share a common hero, Captain James Tiberius Kirk, a fictional star fleet character who grew up in Riverside, Iowa, about a forty-five minute drive from my new hometown.  Ryan relates to the young Kirk who frequently bucked the status quo and who figured a way out of the "Kobayashi Maru," a scenario designed to test a cadet's reaction to a no-win scenario.  Kirk found a way to win.  So does our son.  The key is to be in the moment – wherever you are, be all there.  That's how you find your destiny, by living your life one day at a time and savoring every precious minute.




1 comment:

unexpected miracle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.