Saturday, June 7, 2014

Write a Letter to the Future You


Have you ever wondered what the future you will look like?  Your actions today contribute greatly to that picture of yourself in the future.  I'm sharing a letter I'm writing to myself to be opened ten years from today and I challenge you to do the same.  Here goes...

Dear Future Self,

I thought about you this morning, June 7th, 2014, and I penned this letter for your review ten years into the future.  I'm thinking about what the world around you looks like on this day, the day after the 80th anniversary of D-Day.  Most of the survivors of that war are on the other side now and the invasion is but a distant memory.  I'm imagining the world you're living in is plagued with many of the same challenges I observe today and that's why I decided to write you this letter.  I want you to be in the best position to handle whatever curve balls life is throwing at you.  Here's my action plan for you:
  • I promise to work on all my relationships.  Friends are a blessing.  I will do my best to keep in touch and support them when they need my help so that you won't ever be lonely.
  • I promise to take care of my body by making healthy food choices and committing to regular exercise so you will find yourself in good shape.
  • I promise to manage my finances properly so you will have a better retirement. 
  • I promise to work daily on my character without worrying about my reputation so you will inherit a person with strong values.  
  • I promise to walk daily in my faith and stay close to Jesus so you will have a sound navigation system in your life.  My hope for you is that Jesus is still your best friend.  If for some reason you drifted, I urge you to go back in time and remember how often Jesus was there when you were in crisis mode.
  • I promise to hold my wife in the palm of my hand every day and love her with every breath.  You will be getting ready to celebrate thirty-five years of marriage by the time you read this letter.  If your heart still skips a beat every time you look at her then I know you are as blessed today as I have been throughout all my years at her side.  We both know in our hearts she is the best gift we ever received.
  • I promise to stay close to our children, all of them leaving the nest as of this writing.  I promise to encourage them on their journey and to be there when they need me.  If you find yourself with grandchildren as you read this letter, make sure you tell them how I dreamed of getting to know them as well as our children's future spouses.
One last thing, future self.  I hope your heart is filled with much gratitude as you reflect on your life.  I hope you're living your life with passion and you are still sharing daily stories of faith, hope, love and inspiration with the world.  If I did my job right, you're celebrating over 5,000 days of consecutive blog writing and you won't stop until your heart stops beating.  ¡Vaya con Dios!

Michael

No comments: