Friday, June 6, 2014

Finding the Right Balance


The seesaw is no fun when one side is so heavy that you can't move.  Has this ever happened to you in your personal life?  Maybe your workload is weighing you down.  Or you're not devoting enough time to your physical fitness and you have the couch potato blues.  My biggest challenge has been my debt load.  There he is – a 300 pound gorilla, staring at me from the other side of the seesaw.  He doesn't know the credit cards he's been consuming for years are all chopped up.  My gorilla is on a restricted diet.  I look forward to the days when I have financial balance in my life.

Time management is another area of my life I'm refining.  I have two tools to help me stay balanced with my time – the timer on my cell phone and my chronograph on my Timex triathlon watch.  My daily tasks have time targets assigned to help me get everything accomplished on my to do list.  Once the beeper goes off, time's up and I move on.  This is especially helpful for fun tasks I could spend all day on if there were no limits.  The timer on my cell phone is used to give me down time in the middle of the day when I can close my eyes for fifteen or twenty minutes without any fear of drifting off for too long.  A little siesta allows me to recharge and finish my tasks without feeling fatigued.

Take a look at how you're spending your time.  Manage your day by adding or subtracting to each area of your life.  You can have more fun on the seesaw when you find the right balance for all activities.  Let me know how you're doing.

No comments: