Friday, June 27, 2014

How to Win a Staring Contest With Your Laptop


My best friend from high school came up with a theory about time management.  He told me, "the job expands to fit the time allotted."  I have a feeling this is true for most creative people.  Why does it take some people years to write one book?  Perhaps it's because we don't set up deadlines.  I sometimes spend hours staring at a blank page on my laptop while the clock ticks.  It's like some kind of staring contest.  Here's how to win.  It's based on my buddy's theory about time management:
  1. Don't give yourself too much time to work on a project.  The job will expand to fill the time you set aside.
  2. Work on one specific task at a time until it's complete.  This keeps you focused.
  3. Learn to use the clock properly.  If you find yourself staring at your laptop too much, just reduce the time you're budgeting and watch your productivity soar.
In my personal life, I got too carried away with this theory and ended up not allowing enough time in my day to work on my novel.  I missed two self-imposed deadlines in a row.  Chapter 51 is delayed until the 4th of July.  The good news is I'm spending much less time staring at blank pages on my laptop and more time writing on a time budget.   If you have any time management theories you would like to share, please post them in the comments section below. 


No comments: