Thursday, February 27, 2014

Writer's Brain No Longer Frozen in February


I've been treading on thin ice ever since I decided to write my first novel.  I wanted it to be unique.  The idea of creating a Cyber-bistro and preparing fresh chapters in front of my readers seemed appealing.  Then my brain froze.  I started the book with the beginning and the end in my mind but nothing in the middle.  "Just write," I told myself, "and it will all come together, one chapter at a time."  Perhaps the real story was what was happening in my own kitchen.  Here are some things that contributed to my writer's block:

  • My wife and I decided to sell our California home and relocate to Iowa.  The process of short selling a home when the mortgage company is both overwhelmed and overburdened is just about impossible, especially when there are few buyers willing to go through the painful process.  My creative juices stopped flowing.  We leaned heavily on our awesome realtors, Mark and Lori, to deal with the banks and close the deal.  Without their help, we would have ended up in foreclosure.
  • We sold most of our possessions and cashed out our retirement accounts.  I felt like a trapeze artist flying through the air with no safety net.
  • I discovered I was at the bottom of Maslow's hierarchy of needs.  Food, water and shelter overpowered my desire to pen a novel.
  • A junk debt buyer began harassing my family while we were still homeless.  I cannot comment any more on this because the case is pending.
Here's the good news:  my writer's brain finally thawed out.  I had an epiphany.  While driving home from my day job on Interstate 80,  I got a flash of light.  In an instant I saw how to complete the plot line.  Let's just say that when you visit Caveman Reflections Cyber-bistro on the first Friday in March you will see a writer who put the fire out in his own kitchen and overcame all the obstacles that put the freeze on his story.  My life is thawing out, both personally and professionally.   Thanks for hanging in there with me.  The high today is expected to reach 5º.  It doesn't matter how cold it is outside.  Things are heating up.  I'm ready for some March Madness.  Stay tuned for the rest of the story.

No comments: