Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Improve Your Performance With Visualization


Last night I watched one of our young American Olympic ski competitors in an interview.  "Most viewers are seeing me on these slopes for the first time," she said.  "But for me, I've already been here a thousand times in my mind."   Another bobsled competitor commented, "I'm going home and plan to visualize the course so I can be ready for a strong day tomorrow."  This is one of my favorite techniques for improving performance and it seems to be working for the top athletes in the world.

If you would like to raise your game, try to visualize yourself giving a speech or executing a new task to perfection before game day.  The more times you practice seeing yourself mastering an important assignment the easier it is to calm those butterflies in your stomach.  Just close your eyes and focus on a detailed picture of the future event.  Keep it positive.  Your brain will remember this picture you paint when it's time for the real deal.  And you won't feel like a rookie.  Give it a try.

No comments: