Friday, February 14, 2014

Why You Should Answer the Door When Love Knocks


Happy Valentine's Day.  If love is knocking on your door today and you're not sure what to do, please allow me to share my love story with you...

Once upon a time I saw and heard things that turned my heart cold.  I swore that I would never ever allow myself to be in a position where my heart could be broken.  Love is risky.  It's complicated.  It's not logical.  It's certainly not perfect.  I never understood love until I met my future wife.  It's like dipping your toe in a pool of water.  The temperature is just right but you see the sign "no lifeguard on duty" and you don't know what to do.  You're not even sure you can swim.  That was the moment I dove in, head first.  She didn't seem to care that I only knew how to dog paddle.  She took my hand and promised to hold on forever.  In five months we will be celebrating our silver anniversary.

I have this to say about love:  it's not what you get in a relationship that matters – it's what you give.  Yes, love is risky.  Yes, love is complicated.  Yes, love is not logical.  And yes, oh yes, love is worth answering the door for when it knocks.

Remember this about love – the swimming pool is open 365 days a year, not just on Valentine's Day.  Do something every day on the other 364 days to show your love.  Happy Valentine's Day.

No comments: