Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Political Skeletons In My Closet


Once upon a time during my courtship, my bride-to-be asked me, "are you going to run for political office someday?"  I thought the question was odd and quickly told her I had zero interest in politics.  At the time, I had no clue about the political skeletons in my closet.  I think of my ancestors on this election day and wonder what they would think if they were watching.

My great-great-great grandfather, captain James E Starkey, presided as speaker of the first Legislature of Minnesota.  I didn't know anything about him until I started doing some research for a book I'm writing.  I dug a little deeper into my roots and discovered two more politicians -- Irish kings who fought their political battles with horses and swords.  Miscalculations forever changed the landscape of the residents, forcing many to flee to a New World and start over.

The best political move I ever made was to promise my wife I would stay on the sidelines.   I never told her I was campaign manager in high school when my buddy, Bruce Hoover, asked me to help get him elected class president.  If you talk with my wife, please keep this political skeleton in my closet.  By the way, my slogans were a hit, and Bruce won in a landslide.

Don't forget to vote today.  And please, no write-ins for this Mulligan.  Thank you.

No comments: