Saturday, November 17, 2012

How to Unlock the Door to Heaven


I recall a story in my youth about Jesus inspecting the inhabitants of Heaven with Peter, the gatekeeper.  Some seemed a little edgy.  Jesus asked, "Peter, aren't you guarding the gate?  Some of these people don't look like they belong here."

"Don't blame me, Jesus," Peter replied.  It's your Mother, she's letting 'em in through the window."

I also remember someone sharing his opinion about the population of Heaven.  "You will be surprised by two things -- who is there and who isn't."

Dad's last request before departing this world was to return a Bible to our pastor who accidentally left it behind when he paid our family a visit.  Dad said, "son, this is a very important book and I need you to return it right away.  This book contains the keys to the gates of Heaven."

Dad never told me what page revealed the keys.  He was a writer.  He believed readers need suspense.  He loved mysteries.  Dad was old school.  In today's times, everyone wants instant answers.  Even Google can't tell you where to find the door to Heaven.  While it's true you can't sneak in through the window, Mary does offer a clue.  She always advises others to listen to her Son.  This may be the most important lesson Jesus teaches about how to unlock the door to Heaven:

 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." ~ John 14:6.

Today is a good day to ask the Locksmith to move into your heart.  He is the only one with the keys to Heaven.  When Peter asks who is knocking at the door, tell him, "it's me -- one of Jesus' followers.  He told me anyone who believes in Him can ask for anything and he will receive it.  I would like to join the party.  Please unlock the door to Heaven."

No comments: