Thursday, August 26, 2010

When Much is Given Much is Expected

 But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked - Luke 12:48

As I was walking out of Church yesterday, my pastor greeted me with, "when much is given, much is expected".  He reminded me that the Treasure Box project is now up and running and it is time for my next assignment...organize a team for the February fundraiser which includes a dinner, dance and auction.  A team is in place from last year, however, it is missing a leader.  The people best qualified to do this are not available and my pastor is asking me to handle this.

At times, I feel overwhelmed from the day to day activities and assignments.  The verse from Luke, 12:48 shows us how we are to manage our gifts.  This is not something where we divide the tasks up evenly.  Jesus tells us that when we have been given much from Him, we are to give it all back to others.  My pastor knows this.  He also recognizes that a person can become overburdened.  The challenge is to stay balanced...to do everything Jesus asks of you without over-committing to the point where your work becomes substandard. 

Take a look at your priorities.  Are you managing your time and your life so that you can maximize your talents for the good of the world.  Take an inventory of your gifts and make sure that you are using them fully.  The more you have been given, the more that will be expected...

No comments: