Saturday, August 7, 2010

Letting Go of the Banana

While I was listening to my pastor speak last Sunday, he said something that really hit me hard.  He asked the crowd if we are aware of how monkeys are caught.  It is really quite simple.  The hunters set a trap with one small opening and then place a banana inside.  The monkey reaches inside the trap and grasps the banana.  There is no way the banana can fit through the opening.  As long as the monkey holds on to the banana, he is a prisoner.

There are too many bananas in my life that I have been holding onto.  Like the monkey, I have become a prisoner.  The voice inside me tells me to let go.  The world may judge me for letting go of the banana but I am more concerned about trusting the One who is leading me.

Once the monkey is caught, his freedom is lost forever.  I hope I can learn from the monkey.  As much as I love to eat bananas, I am ready to try something different.  How about you?  Are you ready to get out of the trap?  Let's go into the jungle together and search for a new fruit, one that will satisfy our hunger like nothing we have ever tasted before.  Are you ready?  Just let go of the banana and you will be free...

No comments: