Monday, January 20, 2020

Where Does Your Magic Happen?

Imagine a place where you're happy.  It's a magical place.  There are no negative thoughts because there's simply no reason for them.  You're surrounded by serenity.  Where is this place?  Is it some kind of an exotic location?  Is the weather just right?  What do you imagine yourself doing?  How long are you visiting this place where all the magic happens?  Is it a family vacation or an overnight stay?  Who is with you?

My magical place may appear different to the outside observer.  I planned to wake up this morning next to the beach but the severe weather in the area caused an overload of passengers who also desired to travel.  I was nearly 100% certain I was going to get a seat yesterday morning at 4:45am when I observed the sheet of ice covering the airport parking lot.  My temperature gauge read -3º and the wind was howling at about 30mph.  These are the kinds of conditions that normally keep travelers home.  I walked inside and noticed overwhelming crowds lining up to check their bags.  One of the reservation clerks spotted me checking in at the self-checkout monitor and asked where I was headed.  She urged me to move quickly because the doors were closing soon.  Once I cleared the long line at security, I scurried up the escalator carrying my shoes to save time and made it to the gate as other passengers were boarding.  Unfortunately for me, there were no empty seats and every flight for the rest of the day was completely sold out.  I shuffle stepped back to my car pretending that the weather was tropical but my mind resisted.  What a relief it was to get back to my vehicle and turn the heat on.

I'm in my happy place this morning.  A couple of nights ago I recall taking our son's pet chihuahua outside at 2am to do her business.  Normally, we put a leash on her but I felt safe knowing she wouldn't wander since it was so cold and windy.  I opened our sliding door and let her outside while I watched.  Roxy ventured over a snowdrift and slid all the way down the slope to the trees bordering our backyard like a beginner cross country skier trying to hit the brakes.  Her 6-pound body was too light to puncture the layer of ice that covered the fresh snow.  She finally came to a halt and looked back at me unsure what to do.  She was a deer in the headlights.  My steps to retrieve her were slow and methodical.  Each step broke the ice and sent out loud crunching sounds throughout the sleepy neighborhood.  I picked her up and brought her back while I was dreaming about my upcoming trip to a place where the magic happens.  I may not be at that beach I was dreaming about but I'm definitely where the magic happens.   I don't have to be somewhere else to be happy.  The weather doesn't need to be tropical in order for me to be happy.  The magic can happen anywhere at any time and in any condition.  How about you?  Have you discovered where your magic happens?  Have a great day.

No comments: