Saturday, January 4, 2020

Back to the Tennis Courts Today

Yesterday was a family reunion day in Arizona to celebrate my Uncle John's life along with numerous cool cousins and my uncle's amazing siblings.  Today is a tennis reunion day with my teammates for a home match this afternoon, followed by a team dinner.  I've been away so much that I've missed nearly a full season of men's 40+ tennis in Iowa.  I'm excited to be in the lineup today.  My team performed well during my absence and we head into today's final match of the season undefeated.  I attribute this to great coaching from our captain and a commitment to continuous improvement by every member of this team.

I would like to thank my mother and all my relatives for spending time with me yesterday.  I have a feeling all that positive energy they exuded will inspire me to play my best today.  There's nothing better than being surrounded by caring people who encourage you to be the best version of yourself you can be.  One of my best early memories of playing tennis was when my uncle John asked me to hit balls at my high school, the same place where one of my uncle's grandkids became a state champion in badminton several years ago.  I'll be thinking of my uncle today while I'm on the courts and plan to dedicate the match to him.  Have a great day.

No comments: