Thursday, February 14, 2019

Happy Valentine's Day


Here's a backyard photo I captured a couple of days ago after shoveling snow in our driveway.  We wanted to begin our Valentine's Day celebration early.  This year is extra special for me because I'm recalling everything my wife did for me to help me get back on my feet again after my auto accident one year ago in February.  Last Valentine's Day I could barely move with seven broken ribs.  My wife would reach out, grasp my crossed arms, then slowly pull me until I was upright.  The ritual always ended in a kiss.  That's what love is – caring for your loved ones when they can't care for themselves.  It's letting go of everything and relocating to unfamiliar territory so you can find a cure for homesickness even if it means learning how to navigate on icy roads or spending countless hours shoveling snow.  I see beauty in moments like the day the sun finally came out long enough to savor a glass of wine with my Valentine.  Yes, I'm counting my blessings today.  It's the simple things that really matter.  My hope for you today is that you take the time to put aside all the distractions and enjoy quality time with your loved ones.  Happy Valentine's Day.  Have a great day.

No comments: