Friday, February 22, 2019

Endurance


Some of us are in marathons but we only trained our bodies for sprint courses.  So, what happens when we find ourselves in unfamiliar territory?  I like Leo Tolstoy's quote above.  A marathon is really a series of smaller races.  I know I can go the distance if I allow my body to rest and recover after a challenging day.

My debt reduction journey feels more daunting than a 1,000 mile walk.  I'm only in the second month and my legs are telling me they feel like they've already run a marathon.  The good news is I'm still on the course.  The bad news is I got my first bogey, meaning I didn't hit my February goal.  I knew there would be some bogeys along the way and I really hoped all our budget cuts would keep us on par but the unexpected happened.  I didn't cover my 25 miles a day but I did log some really good miles during these first two months.  I'm tracking how much I missed the goal so I can cover it over the next 34 months of my race to financial freedom.

The battle between my mind and my body resembles War and Peace.  The body is fighting every step of the way while it complains about how the mind is playing games.  I knew pretending to play 36 holes of golf over three years would be a hard sell but it's the best way I know to keep going.  There are 25 miles to cover today.  Another 25 miles tomorrow.  C'mon body, you can do this.

No comments: