Thursday, July 30, 2015

Got Priorities?


My rear view mirror serves as a reminder how easy it is to get lost.  Perhaps my greatest mistake in life was failing to get my priorities right.  My first year in college I juggled three jobs while playing on my community college tennis team.  I slept an average of four hours a night.  My church attendance was limited to Christmas and Easter.  My number one priority was making money.  I did my best to talk others out of marriage because the 50% chance of a successful outcome was too risky.  The only thing that saved me was my prayer life.  God was #5 on my priority list behind money, money, money and money.  My prayers were mostly to help me get more money.  I was on the highway to Hell and didn't know how lost I was because I was too busy judging all the other drivers.  Something happened when I decided to rearrange my priorities and put God first.  There was a tug-of-war with the money that ended in sudden death when I reluctantly let go of the last dollar.

My priorities today are simple – God first, my wife second, our children third, and everything else fourth.  Everything belongs to God.  Any resources I have are to be used prudently to advance God's plans for my life.  I'm sleeping soundly eight hours a night.  Every morning I wake up refreshed and ready to follow God's road map.  Matthew summarizes it best... But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. ~ Matthew 6:33.  Have a great day.


No comments: