Budgeting doesn't have to be tedious or boring. It's more fun than playing Monopoly because you're using real money. And if you play the game right you can even pay off your mortgage. It's the envelope game. Here's how it works:
- Decide what's important to you and make an envelope for each category.
- Label each envelope. Mine are vacations, entertainment and fun money.
- Pay each envelope on the first of the month just like your regular bills.
- Use the envelope for its designated purpose during each month.
- Avoid raiding envelopes when you run out of cash. If you run out of cash, the fun stops for that category until next month.