Wednesday, May 20, 2015

My Next Door Neighbor Found Out I'm a Writer

Need a bookmark?  Ask and you shall receive.
I don't get out much.  That's what happens when you're a writer and you spend all your free time hidden away in your basement cranking out words like a factory worker on an assembly line.  I really didn't want to come out of my cave until my third book is done but my friends couldn't wait to grab a copy of my first novel so the cat is out of the bag.

"Do you like to read?"  I asked my neighbor last night standing in the driveway.  He nodded yes.  "I have a bookmark for you," I said.  I walked inside and pulled out my first bookmark from the FedEx package that arrived earlier in the day.  My neighbor looked at it with a puzzled look on his face.  "You're a writer?"  he asked.  The follow-up question he asked is the same one I keep hearing.  "How do you find the time to write?"

"Come to the library next Wednesday at 7 pm for the author talk and I'll answer your questions,"  I said.   For those of you reading this, here's what's up.  You can't hide from God.  Remember Adam?  The guy who ate the apple and then tried to hide in the garden?  God called out, "Adam, where are you?"  God wasn't asking this question because he couldn't find Adam, he was asking so Adam could understand God was on his tail.  You see, God doesn't need cell phones or other electronic devices to reach you.  He can go directly into your dreams in the middle of the night and nudge you.  There's no escape.  I'm in.  I'm doing what God asks of me and I've given up hiding the fact that I'm a writer.

Have a great day.  Stay tuned.  I'm setting up more book signings in the future.  And I'll give you a bookmark the next time we meet as long as you don't ask, "how do you find the time to write?"  The answer is you make time to do the important tasks you're assigned to.  That's why I get up extra early every morning.  See you tomorrow at 8:08.


No comments: