Monday, May 25, 2015

Happy Memorial Day


My dad rests at Ft. Rosecrans, one of the most beautiful places in Southern California.  He served in the Marines during the Korean War.  He made it home safely but many others did not.  This is the day we remember all who gave their lives for our freedom.  It's a day we comfort those who lost a loved one.  My heart goes out to them.

I know first-hand what it feels like to be a parent of an active duty soldier stationed overseas.  The day our youngest son asked me to place the blue chord on his shoulder at graduation from infantry training and boot camp is one of my most precious moments ever.  I asked him about the significance of his badges.  "This is what soldiers who enlist during wartime wear on their dress blues,"  he answered.  These men and women are special.  They know the dangers lurking in the shadows and they choose this life.  This is how much they love us.  Jesus says this is the greatest love, to be willing to die for others.  I look forward to seeing our son again and giving him a big hug.  For those who must wait to give that hug until the afterlife,  please know your country is holding your hand today.  You have my prayers.  God bless you and God bless all soldiers, past, present and future.  We will never forget you.  Happy Memorial Day.

No comments: