Sunday, May 10, 2015

Happy Mother's Day


Today is dedicated to all the mothers in the world including my mom, a kind, loving and generous woman who raised six children.  I can't be with her today.  The celebration is on hold until August when I see her in person for the first time in three years.  I would like to share three lessons my mother taught me.
  1. Forgive others.  There are no exceptions.  It doesn't matter how deep the wounds.  It's impossible to call yourself a Christian if you don't forgive.  Mom didn't teach me this lesson with words – she used actions.
  2. Hope never ages.  I will never forget talking with mom on my 50th birthday.  It was one of those memorable heart-to-heart moments that inspired me to get back on the field of life after a series of fumbles and lost opportunities.  Mom shared personal stories about the obstacles she faced when she was fifty.  Mom understood my trials.  "Been there done that," she recounted.  "Just don't ever give up hope.  You can do this," she assured me.  That's what special about moms.  They have great timing.  They always know what to say when the chips are down.
  3. Pray continuously.  Mom is a prayer warrior.  She sees the good in everyone around her.  Her secret is simple.  She prays to see Jesus in others, especially the people she doesn't necessarily like.  It makes even the most challenging relationships become tolerable. 
I didn't get to spend much time with my mother-in-law, Myrna.  She was diagnosed with cancer before our wedding day.  Mom wrapped her loving arms around my bride and took her in as one of her own.  It's impossible to replace a mother but it is possible move on when you are loved by someone like my mother.  I'm one of the lucky ones.  I have a world-class mom, a wife who not only loves me, but loves my mother with all her heart.  And I have three amazing sisters who share mom's grace and elegance.  Happy Mother's Day to all the moms in the world.  God bless you.

No comments: