Friday, February 27, 2015

Finish Line Ahead


The finish line is now 18 days away.  My final approach is simple... look straight ahead, stay hydrated, remember to eat at regular intervals, rest before I get tired, and stay focused on the finish line.  I found my writing rhythm.   What helps is thinking about the relationship between writing and running. There's the starting line, the middle and the finish line.  Before the gun goes off, there are training exercises to prepare yourself.  My training started when I wrote over 2,500 love letters to my wife.  Then I started this blog.  Daily blogging is like running up and down stairs.  It helps get you in shape for bigger projects.  The next step for me was to write a memoir.  I joined a writers critique group and got some formal training to help me through the process.  It was similar to a 10k race.  I really enjoyed the experience but I also felt something inside me nudging me to pen a novel.  There were so many times during this marathon experience that I wondered if I would ever cross the finish line.  Something happens at about mile 20.  Fatigue sets in.  Muscles cramp.  You question why you are out on the track.

I know why I'm here.  I was born to do this.  When I feel like giving up I think of Jesus dragging that Cross to Golgotha.  He did that for you and me.  He stumbled.  He fell.  He needed help.  He finished the race.  And when he came back from the dead, he told his followers, "now it's your turn."

I'll share a little secret with you about the finish line.  I found help by turning to the Bible for inspiration.  The greatest Marathoner of all times left behind all sorts of clues to help us find our finish line.  I may be writing fiction but if you read between the lines you will find the source of my inspiration.  You will find my Mentor.  Don't forget to come back on March 17 for the rest of the story.  Have a great day.

No comments: