Monday, December 8, 2014

When You Need a Comma


There's a reason your life may be in need of a comma.  Commas are pauses.  They are the speed bumps in your thoughts that force you to slow down and examine where you're headed and why you're going in a particular direction.

I needed a comma this morning.  My inspiration suffered a case of the Monday morning blues.  I missed my 8:08 deadline.  What does a writer do when he or she can't find a receiver in the end zone and time is running out?  It's time for the comma.  It's when you decide to slow your no huddle offense down and pause until you regroup.  Just call me the Monday morning quarterback.

Don't be afraid to use commas.  Call for a time-out when you feel overloaded.  Missing a deadline isn't the end of the world.  Missing out on all life has to offer is.  Today is a new day.  It's the beginning of a new week.  Adjust your pace and find your rhythm.   I really like the quote I found this morning when I was in the middle of my personal time-out:

“Whatever phase of life you are in, make time to pause and reflect where you are heading to. It is a good time to insert a comma now and realign yourself to your inner self before your life ends in a full stop.”― Roopleen

No comments: