Wednesday, December 24, 2014

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas


This is my first Christmas in Iowa with no snow on the ground.  There's plenty of moisture in the air but temperatures are in the mid-thirties, not enough to give us a white Christmas this year.  I'm not complaining.  We had enough snow last year to last a lifetime.  The song, "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas," is playing on the radio right now.  Bing Crosby is singing.  The song reminds me of my younger days when dad sang this song.  Dad had plenty of snow where he grew up in North Dakota, not far from the Canadian border.  I loved the childhood stories he shared about how he and his brothers built tunnels in the snow and hitched rides by holding on to rear bumpers of unsuspecting drivers navigating the icy roads in his neighborhood.

Dad is no longer with us.  Neither is Bing Crosby.  Those two Irishmen are harmonizing with angels in Heaven.  We still sing a happy birthday song to dad every year on Christmas day.  I ponder how wondrous it must be to celebrate Christmas in Heaven with Jesus.  The choir is filled with so many loved ones.  I can only imagine our King dressed in brilliant white so bright it nearly blinds your eyes.  That is the white Christmas we will all share one day.  That is the white Christmas I'm dreaming of while I celebrate the season with my wife and three children.  Merry Christmas to all my friends and family and to all who read these daily stories.  Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share my life with you.  And may all your Christmas's be white, snow or no snow.

No comments: