Friday, December 26, 2014

What's Your Serenity Score?


Once upon a time I thought I was in control of my life.  That was when my life was the most out of control.  I knew it.  I prayed desperately for the wisdom to be able to figure things out.  I didn't like the feeling of sitting in the cockpit with all those gauges spinning in the wrong direction.  My serenity score was below zero.  All the other passengers were screaming for their oxygen masks.  I found wisdom.  It was tucked neatly inside a three-part prayer.  Each part of the prayer is worth 3.33 points.  In order to score above a failing grade, all three parts of the prayer must be mastered.  Take the test to determine your serenity score.  Are you ready?

Question #1 –  Do you accept the things in your life you cannot change?  This includes people, situations in life and events.  Examples are wildfires, tornadoes, hurricanes, car accidents, cancer, family members, bosses, politicians, friends and enemies.

Question #2 – Do you have the courage to change the things that are within your power to change?  Every year I keep reducing this list.  The number one item for 2015 is myself.  I pray God gives me the courage to change myself.

Question #3 – Do you have enough wisdom to recognize what goes on list #1, the things you cannot change, and list #2, the things you can change? 

What's your serenity score?  Did you pass?  If you would like some help, I'm happy to share my serenity prayer with you.  It's been around for ages although I didn't discover it until late in life.  Here you go.  Please share with someone you know who may be interested to know their serenity score...

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

No comments: