Saturday, December 13, 2014

Beware of the Personal Space Invaders


They come in all shapes and sizes.  Some of them are people and some of them are ideas and attitudes.  I'm referring to anything or anyone who invades your personal space.  Your own negative thoughts can seep inside and destroy your peace.  I have a new name for my own personal bubble.  I call it the "Zen Zone."  Here's my secret for keeping the personal space invaders out of my place of solitude...
  1. Don't answer unidentified phone calls.  This is a big one.  If someone important is calling and I don't recognize their number, they will leave a message and I can call them back.  These people are breaking the law by disrespecting the "do not call" list.   Why should I grant these personal space invaders access? 
  2. Allow ample time to get to your appointments.  This is another big one.  The biggest zen zone violator is bad clock management.  Stop rushing.  Plan your time.  Give yourself an extra fifteen minutes to get to your destination.
  3. Mute the negative people.  Pretend they have a volume button.  When they are standing in front of you ranting out of control, hit the mute button.  Let them spew but don't let their words get past the Great Barrier Reef around your zen zone.  Nod your head to encourage them to keep vomiting until they are done.  Then, let them walk away.  They feel better now.  There venting is over.  And you still feel great because you did not allow them to transfer their negative energy to your zen zone.
  4. Counter-attack your negative thoughts.  Every time you hear that negative voice inside your head say, "No you can't," tell yourself, "Yes I can."  Support your counter-attack with statements such as, "I am uniquely qualified for this task because I'm a child of God."
  5. Allocate time for fun activities and stick to your schedule.  Your personal time is more important than the space invader's time.  If you give it up, you lose.  Your family loses.  Your zen zone evaporates.  Learn to say no.  Your family will appreciate you.
Your personal space invaders can attack at any time.  Be alert.  Should a break-in occur, fortify your defenses and learn from the situation.  Your personal space is one of your most valuable assets.  Protect it.  Peace be with you.  Have a great day.

No comments: