Thursday, December 18, 2014

Changes Next Exit


If you're not careful, you may miss your next exit.  I'm at the point in the year where I'm reviewing the highlights from the previous twelve months.  This gives me the feedback I need to make adjustments and adapt to the changing world around me.  Among the highlights are the good, the bad and the ugly.  I believe I learn the most important lessons from the bad and the ugly because my biggest motivation is to avoid making the same mistake twice.

I visited a pet store yesterday.  My wife asked me to take a look at two mice who were fighting over the same spinning toy.  One would jump on and accelerate.  Suddenly, the other one would jump on and bring the ride to a screeching halt.  The two took turns fighting over a silly little dish.  I reflected for a moment and told my wife, "That looks like my old life in California."  She laughed.  It wasn't the ha ha laugh but more of the aha laugh.  I mean, aha, you're so right.  "And why did it take you so long to figure this out?"

It's too bad these two mice are trapped in a cage with no way out.  They don't have the opportunity to step back and review the last twelve months.  Instead, they fight over a toy which leads to nowhere.  There's no exit.  They will never change.  I'm glad I'm not a mouse.  I'm thankful I can look at my life and determine where changes are needed so I can continue to grow.  I see the exit ahead.  I'm taking it.  How about you?  Are there any changes planned for the next twelve months?  Please share your thoughts in the comment section below.

No comments: