Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Why God Orders a Wrecking Ball


He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver ~ Malachi 3:3

God works in mysterious ways.  I know this because I'm a first-hand witness.  My wife too.  Last night we reminisced about a prayer we said together.  The year was 2005.  The prayer we recited went something like this... "We put our lives in your hands, Dear God.  We're not afraid.  You may use us any way you want for your purposes."  A wrecking ball showed up within twenty-four hours.  God decided to go big.  No facelifts.  No cosmetic changes.  He decided our lives needed rebuilding from the ground up.  I can't count how many times I threw my hands up in the air and asked, "Really?"

I'm choosing not to share the painful details of the demolition process because it involves other family members and their lives are private.  Let's just say it was a scary moment when I got the wake-up call at 4:00 AM.  The wrecking ball smashed through the master bedroom window while we were quietly sleeping.

It's a strange feeling to look in the mirror and not recognize the person in the reflection.  That's part of the remodeling process.  The best way to describe it is with a picture.  Here it is...

Do you know when the silversmith is satisfied?  It's when he sees himself in the reflection.  God couldn't see himself in the reflection.  He sent in the wrecking ball.  He began the refinement process.  He's still not done.  The process is painful.  I've learned one important lesson about construction projects.  I'm not in charge.  I can't change anyone else.  I can only change my own attitude.  Everything else is in God's hands.  Everything.

No comments: