Sunday, September 28, 2014

Roadside Assistance


Photography is my number three interest behind writing and playing tennis.  I especially enjoy pictures of sunrises and sunsets.  Last year I got a rare opportunity to capture perhaps my favorite shot of all times.  It wasn't easy.  I felt my heart pounding as I approached mile marker 231 along the icy Interstate 80.  The sun was peeking out from its furthest point south during my December morning commute.  Outside temperatures were steady at 1º and the road conditions were dangerous.  I checked my rear view mirror to make sure no one was directly behind me and slowed down before pulling over.  My model was patiently waiting for me at the top of the hill.  I grabbed my cell phone camera and stepped into the snow.  Each step felt like I was dipping into an ice bucket.  My fingers were instantly frozen.  I didn't care.  The sun had a peculiar ring around it that looked like a rainbow. Everything was in the perfect position for my photo shoot.  I snapped several pictures and returned to my car.

People ask me, "who's in the picture?"  Others tell me they see a woman who looks like she's praying.  They seem surprised when I tell them it's a tree stump.  For me, it's more than the remains of a fallen tree.  It's my roadside assistance.  Every morning when I drive by the tree stump, I get the urge to pray.  I thank God for all the symbols He uses to draw me closer to Jesus.  I will always treasure that special 12th day of December, 2013, when Mother Nature fully cooperated.  I named the tree stump Mary, in honor of the Jesus' Mother.  The photo is captioned, "There's something about Mary."  She's my daily reminder that Her Son will forever be my roadside assistance, no matter how far away from home I may be.  If you like the photo, please forward it to a friend.  Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share today's story with you.

No comments: