Wednesday, September 3, 2014

How to Get Through Intimidating Situations


30% of the population has at least one debt collector in their life.  Schoolyard bullies dominate the playgrounds.  And every workplace has one or two people who thrive when they're intimidating others.

I will never forget what someone close to me said after he visited the bully in detention.  "Something bad must be going on in your personal life for you to want to pick on me,"  he said.

The bully replied, "you're right.  My home life sucks.  I pick on you because I'm trying to feel better.  I'm sorry for hurting you."

"I came here to forgive you and to tell you if you ever need anyone to talk to, you can talk to me."  The two shook hands and became friends.

The story could have ended differently.  Who wants to confront difficult situations?

In my case, when a creditor tried to harass me, I remained calm.  I learned everything I could about debt collection laws.  And I stood up to the attorneys who overstepped their authority.  They backed off when the judge threatened to sanction them for their violations.

The world will always be full of bullies.  Don't allow them to take away your peace.  Breathe.  Confront them.  Do your best to understand why they are attacking you.  Pray for them.  Forgive them.

No comments: