Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Valley of the Sun


Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me ~ Psalm 23:4

Winston Churchill says "mountaintops inspire leaders but valleys mature them."  I agree.  I know a great deal about living in the valleys.  I was born in Phoenix, nicknamed the "Valley of the Sun."  When my wife and I got married, we moved to a small town in California, also named the "Valley of the Sun."  I climbed to the top of the snow-covered mountain you see in the photo above.  It was an exhilarating experience, like navigating the peaks and valleys of my own life.

Everything you need to know about valleys is summarized in King David's 23rd Psalm.  Winston Churchill reminds us of our need to spend time in the valley in order to gain wisdom.  It's in the valleys where I'm learning how to get closer to Jesus.  The mail carrier in my new hometown doesn't deliver mail to my address.  I have no mailbox.  But I do have a nickname for the place I call home – the Valley of the Son.  All that matters is Jesus is with me, especially when I find myself in the valleys.  No mail boxes are necessary.

Mountaintops inspire leaders but valleys mature them.
- Winston Churchill - See more at: http://www.verybestquotes.com/best-discipline-quotes-self-discipline-quotes-and-sayings/#sthash.Ioy8C32W.dpuf

No comments: