Sunday, January 8, 2012

Seeking Authenticity

I often wonder why the non-believer is turned off to religion.  Their attitudes about faith may be tainted by past encounters with casual believers who don't take their faith seriously.  It's like going on a date with someone who is just not into you.  To top it off, the steak you ordered for dinner is overcooked.  You will go out of your way to avoid another negative experience like a bad date or a restaurant that serves sub-par meals.

My hope for The Caveman in the Mirror is to create an authentic story that even an atheist will enjoy reading.  I want to take the bad taste out of the non-believer's mouth and offer something palatable for the most discerning of readers.

Authenticity requires hard work.  If my book is going to be served like a gourmet meal, every last detail must be attended to.  The atmosphere must tantalize all five senses; the opening chapters are to be succulent appetizers that entice the reader to read on.  When the reader leaves my restaurant, I want him or her to say, "I've got to tell my friends about my experience.  This book is so authentic."

No comments: