Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chara is in the House

You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. ~ Psalm 16:11

Chara (Χαρα) is the Greek word for joy or happiness.  It is also the root word for charis.  In English, charis means grace or kindness.  When the Greek prefix eu is added, you get eucharist which means thanksgiving.  And when you put all three words together - joy, grace and thanksgiving, you find yourself connected to Jesus at the Lord's Supper.  Here's what Jesus said as He celebrated the Last Supper with His followers...

For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, "This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me." ~ 1 Corinthians 11:23-24

One could argue that I found Chara by accident.  I'm in the middle of my research for my second book.  In order to develop the plot, I need to bring in characters who fit the time period the book is set in.  I wanted my characters to have names with significant meaning.  Chalk this newest character, Chara, up to "Godincidence."  Chara is officially in the house.  She brings joy and grace to her family and plays an important role in the main character development.

I don't want to give too much away of the story.  Let's just say I'm really joyful how everything is coming together.  The foundation for the book is the Bible, although my own research into my family genealogy and historical findings will help make important inferences to fill in gaps. I will also rely on my Christian editors to guide me.  May you have a "chara-filled" day today.

Below is a morphed photo which resembles Chara's Greek facial attributes...

No comments: