Friday, June 24, 2022

Meet Herky the Dog

 



My heart melted when I met Herky, a shiatsu/ terrier who may break the record for oldest pet dog in America.  Owners Ellen and Larry may hold the keys to their pets amazing longevity which is now the equivalent of a 119yr-old human.  They pamper Herky with top of the line food and caress him with gentle strokes while he watches over them.

You never know who you're going to encounter  while working in a new state.  That's why it was such a delight to meet this Hawkeye family while on assignment in Wisconsin yesterday.  

Herky is named after the world famous mascot who entertains crowds at sporting events in my homestate of Iowa.  By the way, Larry wrestled against Hawkeye coach Tom Brands who went on to win the Olympic gold metal.  Larry didn't tell me the outcome.  Maybe his friend, Dave Van Dusen, a retired Iowa wrestling coach can spill the beans.

Before we close out today's tribute to Herky, I would like to give a shout out to Ellen and Larry's granddaughter, Freja, who beat the odds in her early childhood with some great help from Children's Hospital.  

Thanks again for stopping by today, Ellen, Larry, and Herky.  And thanks for permission to post your pictures.  I'm asking all my readers to pray for your beautiful family.  Have a great day.


No comments: