Wednesday, November 6, 2019

What are the Odds?

There comes a point when you realize the strange coincidences around you may be something out of this world.  I started noticing this early in the year and now the coincidences are so overwhelming that I can't even fathom the odds.

What are the odds that when I ask a stranger sitting next to me at an airport to share something about his life that may be worth including in my book and he says, "well, my partner and I may win the Nobel Prize for medicine"?

What are the odds that the person standing next you while you're tossing around your friend, Wilson, the volleyball from Castaway, that you discover she's a high school volleyball coach and she asks you to speak to her kids?

What are the odds of meeting the mother of a future World Series champion in a restaurant called the Mustard Seed with a server named Eli and you become her prayer warrior?

What are the odds of meeting a bride-to-be on a plane and she happens to be the director of volleyball for the University of Iowa?

Are you a believer yet?  Well, here's another one...What are the odds of meeting the maestro for the Philharmonic Orchestra and he happens to be the honorary tournament director for a local tennis club where you're working out, he sells "lunch with the Maestro" at the silent auction but you bump into him while having dinner and you end up dining with him and his family?

What are the odds that you are the first person to greet the mayor of the city you're visiting when he asks to come to your training session to introduce himself and you get the perfect photo opportunity with the mayor and Wilson?

What are the odds that you get interviewed by a Japanese television station because they recognize Wilson and they want to know why you're walking around with him?

All of these "random" events happened this year.  I'm beginning to think I really didn't adopt Wilson...he adopted me.

Let me ask you a couple more questions.  What do you think the odds are that a couple of companies who hold the rights to Wilson will grant permission for Wilson to appear in my next book?  Finally, what are the odds that Wilson and I appear on the Ellen show together so I can give Wilson back to Tom Hanks, the actor who created Wilson when he planted his bloody handprint on the volleyball in the movie, Castaway?

Stay tuned.  I'm fairly certain the "random" occurrences aren't going to stop any time soon.  Have a great day.

No comments: