Saturday, November 23, 2019

Watch for the Triggers

Today's story is about anger avoidance.  While driving to my day job yesterday, a semi driver in front of me decided to pass another slower-moving semi driver and changed lanes before I could pass.  He slowed down to match the other driver's speed and remained in the passing lane for several miles.  A line of vehicles formed behind me and the driver behind me decided to tail-gate, pinning me in.  I could feel my blood pressure rising.  This was a sign of a trigger.  Instead of getting angry, I decided to go into prayer mode.  I moved back to the slow lane.  The tailgater moved even closer to the semi still blocking traffic on the left lane.  Both semi drivers seemed oblivious to the angry drivers wanting to pass.

How often do you see the triggers in your day that occur before you lose your temper and all hell breaks loose?  For me, triggers are a great opportunity to keep your cool if you become aware of them in time.  Use the triggers to remain calm no matter what others do to disturb your serenity.  They are like caution signs.  Have a great day.

No comments: