Sunday, November 10, 2019

Every Mile Matters

Marathon runners know what it takes to get the job done.  First, there's the commitment to train.  It's all about the mind, body and spirit.  Training can be mundane but it's necessary.  Preparation is critical.  The beginning of the marathon is easy.  Somewhere in the middle of the race, the mind, body and spirit have "conversations."  The tougher the challenge, the more negative those conversations tend to be.  This is also what it looks like when you're a writer and the finish line seems so distant. 

I'm not a marathoner but I know what it's like to log the miles on my daily blog and my book projects.  Yes, every mile matters.  Every sentences matters.  And every challenge must be overcome, especially the internal ones inside my own head.  

I love the person who's willing to go for it all, like the student who has so much zest for life that he tells his guidance counselor he's taking on a double major or he's graduating in three years because an awesome life is waiting for him once he graduates.  I'm one of those people who looks at a couple of sharks in the water and asks, "why not chum the waters with some extra appetizers for the naysayers to go after and write two books at the same time?"  This really gives those people who don't know how to get things done something to attack.  All I need to do is be one mile ahead of my opponents and cross that finish line before I succumb to mediocrity.  

Wherever you may be on your race course, my advice to you is to keep going.  Don't worry about your workload.  Stay hydrated.  Remain focused.  Find a couple of fellow marathoners who are willing to encourage you when exhaustion sets in.  Every mile matters, especially the one you're on at this moment.  Have a great day.

No comments: