Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Introducing Christopher

 


God works in mysterious ways.  Yesterday is one of those examples.  I met Christopher and his mother yesterday at my day job.  When the mother mentioned she is in the Iowa City area frequently all the way from Dubuque in Northern Iowa, I asked why.  Her reply touched my heart in a profound way.  “Christopher is on his second kidney transplant,” she said.

I asked Christopher how old he is.  “19,” he replied.

“You must be at the university hospital in the adult section,” I said.

“Nope.  I’m part of Children’s hospital.  I was born there,” Christopher replied.

The deeper I dug the more I realized how this encounter was directed by God.  

The cross Christopher’s mother was wearing prompted me to ask the family about the role their faith plays.  It turns out we are both from the same denomination.  When I asked about the new archbishop in their community who is also known as the “RAGBRAI bishop,” the mother told me long before he was appointed in his new role, Archbishop Zinkula was her parish priest.  Small world.  The archbishop led a group of us on a pilgrimage to Ireland shortly after we retired the mortgage on our home.  

Christopher recounted one of his greatest memories as a University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital patient.  He said, "in 2018 I was kid captain when the Hawkeyes played Maryland.  I got to be on the field when the whole stadium waved at my friends on the 12th floor of the hospital overlooking the field.  Mom and I got a tour of the hospital when it was under construction.  We got to look out at the stadium before the glass windows were installed.”

Christopher has been granted a second chance at an extended life.  He told me that kidney transplants have a limited life span and his first one lasted longer than average before he needed another one.  He’s encouraging others to support the sick kids who need a mulligan in order to get a second chance at life.

I would like to thank Christopher for sharing his story with me and for giving me permission to share it on my blog.  On behalf of Christopher and all his friends who are seeking treatment, I’m adding a new wing to my own Caveman Miracle Network which supports the local Children’s hospital.  This wing will be occupied by friends and family who are being asked to become “seed farmers.”  Come back tomorrow to find out more about this.  Meanwhile, consider becoming an organ donor.  Have a great day.

No comments: