Monday, March 18, 2024

Where the Green Grass Grows

 The celebration of life for my Uncle Victor was a 10.  So was the after party.  It's time to begin my journey home.  As Mother Nature ushers in a season, I find myself reflecting on all that has unfolded in these last days in Arizona.

The number one question I get from extended family is, "Why Iowa?"

I was born and raised in Phoenix.  I spent 22 years raising a family on the West Coast.  Now I find myself in Iowa, fully transformed in a place where the green grass grows.  No sprinklers are needed for my green grass.  Water is in abundance.  Traffic is sparse.  My answer to the question is simple... "Why not Iowa?"  This is music to my wife's ears.  My choice is to live in gratitude.  Yes, I'm thankful for my extended family.  I'm thankful I got to say goodbye to an uncle who was a major influence in my life.  

Blessings to my aunts, uncles, siblings, and cousins, who ventured to Springerville to say good-bye to my uncle.  And to the cousin I never knew until this adventure, I have a special note of gratitude.  Thank you for reaching out to me at the after party.  Only God knows why you asked me if I like Star Trek without knowing my affinity for science fiction.  Thank you for sharing the Star Trek tattoo placed over your heart.  I have a feeling you will enjoy how I use Star Trek as a way to share my own perspective of this complicated world we live in. Outsiders may call what happened a coincidence.  Maybe yes.  Maybe no.  I will be pondering the wisdom shared by my extended family on my way back to where the green grass grows.  Safe travels to my relatives who are heading home.  Have a great day.

No comments: