Sunday, May 21, 2023

Celebrating 11 Years at my Day Job

 I have some mixed feelings today.  Maybe it's because I'm celebrating three important anniversaries.  The first is my day job.  I can't believe how it seems like yesterday when I began a job that has turned into something beyond my imagination.  I'm most excited about reloading my vacation bank which will be 160 hours I will be using to spend quality time with my wife.

Now the mixed feelings part.  My dad left this world 21 years ago.  Yesterday was the anniversary of his death.  His reunion story with our family began when we notified him of the passing of my sister's father-in-law the day before Easter.  In our faith, the time between Easter and the 50 days following is a time of great joy.  It was the same for my family as we rejoiced in our dad's return after a long period of separation when he retired deep in the heart of Mexico.  Every time I'm investigating new technology I think of my dad and how much fun he would have had with it.  Maybe somehow he is playing a role from the other side making sure I find all the hidden gems.  Deep down I don't believe anything I'm discovering is accidental.

Let's move on to the joy part of today.  In my faith we are celebrating a very important moment in the Easter Season.  This is the day Jesus ascended into the clouds right in front of his followers.  What a sight that must have been.  First, Jesus dies.  It's the darkest moment in time his followers had to endure.  His mother watched everything knowing she was powerless to stop it.  Then he rose from the dead.  Amazing! He spends time with his followers and they feel like they're in Heaven.  Then...poof!  He's gone.  This is the day.  I'm headed to my house of worship thankful that this is my assigned day to share scripture readings related to this critical time in history.  If you are not a believer, this story is for you.  Jesus promised he would come back the same way he left.  We don't know exactly when that moment will be.  Perhaps Jesus is giving us this time to do what he asks of everyone...share.  Share how our lives are better because we know Jesus.  We know he died for us.  He's coming back.  Get to know him before it's your time to vanish from this planet.  Have a great day.

No comments: