Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Are You Ready to Face Death?

 There is no escape from death.  We can hide.  We can pretend.  We can deny.  We can even try to outrun.  The upper limit is about 120 years.  Some don't even make it out of the womb.  The rest of us are somewhere in between.  The YouTube pastor I follow daily spoke of visiting death regularly today in day 143 of his podcast, Catechism in a Year.  I thought I was all caught up last year when I completed his Bible in a Year program.  I heard of CIY that launched on January 1 and decided to jump in.  Today's message moved me.  In my opinion, there is no greater topic of interest than death and what happens next.  There is an element of risk involved.  Either way, the stakes are high.

If you made it this far in today's story, perhaps you are intrigued about death.  I believe the moment you die you get the opportunity to look in the mirror and see what choices you made for your next step – eternity.  The way I see it, you're choosing to get closer to God or further away with every choice you make.  This decision is made in your heart.  Your final breath is your last chance to say you want to be with God.  Those who came before you are cheering for you.  

If you're not really sure about an afterlife, I'm open to having a conversation with you.  If you're not ready to face death, I'm open to a conversation about that as well.  As someone who came within a heartbeat of losing my life over five years ago when I unintentionally crossed the yellow line in an ugly snow storm, I can honestly say to you that I faced what I thought was certain death.  I've spent these last five years doing my best to make better choices.  The best choice I ever made was to ask Jesus to live in my heart.  The joy you see on my face comes from the roommate living inside of me.  I'm thankful he inspires me to get to know him on a deeper level.  Am I ready to face death?  Yes.  How about you?  Have a great day.



No comments: