Saturday, February 4, 2023

The Million Dollar Ping Pong Table

 Today's story is dedicated to Joni and Tina, two precious teammates at my day job who both lost their husbands within hours recently.  It's difficult to know what to say or do when something unexpected like this happens.  This is my way of honoring two great friends who lost their soulmates.  Please keep Joni and Tina in your prayers as they go through the grieving process.  Prayers are requested for our small team that is trying to hold everything together during this difficult time.

I have always been a big believer in health and wellness.  Stories of suicides at other locations inspired me to do something, anything, to bring some kind of stress relief to my teammates.  I reached out to my general manager, a talented leader who knows exactly how to inspire others to reach peak performance.  When I suggested a ping pong table he responded with a challenge.  He knew what he was asking was borderline impossible but maybe he was just trying to shut me down because we really don't have the space necessary for something like a ping pong table.  Nevertheless, I accepted the challenge and told him our team would find a way to win.  

All I can say is that what happened next leveled the playing field for the challenge.  The nearly impossible goal became possible.  All of this was related to the pandemic.  New members flocked to our location so they could do one stop shopping and buy toilet paper.  Every time the news broke about shortages more new members arrived in droves.  Towards the end of the fiscal year my boss got nervous about the ping pong table request.  We did it.  We closed out our year breaking all kinds or records and shattering every goal the bosses set for our location.  

My general manager came to me and told me he was worried about our lack of space for a new ping pong table.  "I have a plan," I responded in the same tone, Tyler, my general manager uses to explain how to implement his ideas.  I unveiled a plan to add an upstairs break room with plenty of room for the ping pong table.  Tyler's bosses agreed we needed to expand and they had a different idea.  When the costs of each idea were weighed, it turns out my original plan for upstairs expansion is less costly at about a million dollars.  The top bosses will be this month to make the final decision about our remodel.  

In case you're wondering how the "million dollar ping pong table" got its name, I give all the credit to Tyler who came up with name when he saw the estimate for construction costs.  I also give my teammates kudos for responding when membership lines were nearly out of control during the pandemic.  We rallied.  If all goes well we will soon have a bit of stress relief in our new break room.  Table tennis anyone?  See me in the new break room.  Have a great day.

No comments: