Sunday, February 12, 2023

Can Anything Good Come from Nazareth?


 

The package arrives tomorrow.  It's a gift from my friend, Boris, a descendant of Aaron, brother of Moses, from the tribe of Levi.  He's gifting me a carving from an olive tree he acquired while in Nazareth many moons ago (click here for more about Boris).

My time with Boris while on assignment in Ankeny was cut short.  He's a wine steward at one of our locations in Wisconsin.  Most of us on the support team were surprised his boss would release him during the Holiday season because there is at most only one wine steward per location.  His place got super busy and they recalled him before I could get to know him better.  Boris is one of those people who knows how to light up a room.  He sent me a text message yesterday telling me he didn't know anyone who would appreciate this gift as much as I will.

I replied, "Now I have a special connection to you and your people."  My mother has visited Israel on multiple occasions.  Our youngest son commented that he noticed an instant transformation of the land when he crossed the border from Egypt where he was stationed.  This place is on our bucket list.

Can anything good come from Nazareth?  I said those lines many times on various stages when I played Nathaniel in the Living Last Supper play also many moons ago while residing in Southern California.  I'm about to receive one of the most meaningful gifts of my life from one of the most interesting people I've ever been blessed to meet.  I believe this was not a chance encounter.  In fact, a mutual friend, Georgia, couldn't wait for us to meet.

Thank you, Boris, for your thoughtfulness and your generosity.  Thank you for gifting me something with so much significance.  I will make a prominent place for it in my home office so I can remember our brief time together.  Our paths will cross again and we will continue where we left off.  May you live long and prosper. Have a great day.

No comments: