Thursday, February 16, 2023

How I'm Measuring My Blood Glucose and Ketone Levels



 This morning I completed my second 24-hour fast.  The last one was two weeks ago.  Unfortunately, I didn't get the opportunity to measure results the first time other than observe how I felt.  Contrary to what many people think about skipping meals, I actually felt great.  There was zero hunger.  The same thing happened this time.  Also, my tennis game didn't seem to suffer.

My new device arrived yesterday and this morning I performed my first blood glucose/Ketone level test prior to eating my breakfast.  For the medical peeps who are following, here are the results:

Glucose 80 mg/dL

Ketones 1.0 mol/L

What does all this mean?  I'm not sure.  I have much to learn about this.  One meal a day isn't killing me.  Maybe it's helping me.  The food experiments will continue.  I believe this is important due to the scary rise in US diabetes rates.  Rates have increased more than sevenfold since the 1950s.  Yikes!  I don't know if one meal a day will be my new norm.  Two meals a day seems fine with an occasional OMAD (one meal a day) while I monitor what is going on inside my body.  What seems to work for me is a go slow approach.  It's similar to getting out of debt.  This doesn't happen overnight.  Baby steps get the job done.  Always remember to consult your physician for guidance before you make changes.  Have a great day.


No comments: