Wednesday, February 15, 2023

The Caveman Combo



 It's no secret I've been experimenting with food programs ever since my cousin, John, asked me to tinker with my food intake years ago.  He designed a 45day experiment to see if my blood pressure could be lowered to safe levels without prescription medicine.  Not only did my blood pressure drop within days, I also released fat that accumulated in my body over the decades eating the standard American Diet (SAD).  Dr. John Mulligan snatched me from the jaws of premature death and set me on a path for what may be an extended health span as well as an extended lifespan that may appear to outsiders as sci-fi.  He rescued me when I had two health strikes against me and that guy on the mound was staring at me with a devilish grin.  Strike three was just one pitch away.  The fat lady in the choir was getting ready to sing and I could already hear her humming a few bars.

Fast forward to today.  The 45day Caveman Food Experiment opened my eyes to a better lifestyle.  I've been consuming as much information as my brain can handle about food and how it can affect the body positively and/or negatively.  I'm certain about a few things... Almost everything we were taught in school about food is wrong.  Food pyramids are false.  Genetic engineering may influence negative outcomes.  Everything is suspect.  We should kill the standard American diet and celebrate with an old-fashioned Irish wake.  

Ask your primary care physician how much time was dedicated to food education during his or her training in medical school.  Many doctors in my circle of friends confess that it comes down to about an hour or so.  The emphasis is on drugs.  Sadly, poor health is good for business, especially if you happen to be part of a pharmaceutical company.  Prescription medicine is almost always the first choice for treatment.  If the first pill doesn't work, another is added, then another.  

I had a caveman smoothie this morning, a family favorite at Casa de Mulligan.  This morning I added two fried eggs and leftovers from last night's dinner out at A8 Chinese Restaurant (thank you, Shane, for treating us).  Robin, the owner, made my kung pao shrimp gluten free which seems to keep my stomach happier than the traditional style.  I consumed one gram each of transreservatrol and NMN, natural molecules being researched by David A. Sinclair, a Harvard scientist who has been studying mice and yeast cells for most of his career.  He's not a medical doctor but I do think he may be on to something.  That's why I'm also taking eight other pills every morning that he talks about in his book, Lifespan.  

If you made it this far in the story today, I have something new to share.  It has to do with the timing of my eating.  This morning's meal was a bit larger than a typical breakfast for a specific reason.  This is the only food I will consume for the next 24 hours.  I know.  I know.  This is highly unusual for someone living in America.  My first stint at this was two weeks ago and I felt like I was floating on the clouds.  No hunger.  I repeat.  No hunger.  This didn't happen overnight.  I slowly cut out snacks.  I gave up sugar (mostly).  I cut my meals to two times a day.  I heard about OMAD (one meal a day) from a friend who is also eager to understand what foods are best for our bodies.  Apparently, the timing of when we eat may be beneficial.  The best way to know?  Experiment.  I suppose I really enjoy being a lab rat.  I also enjoy playing tennis and tonight I will be on the courts for at least a couple of hours.  It will be a good test for OMAD.  

Remember one important thing before you go out on a limb, check in with your primary care physician and get the proper advice about changing your food program.  In my opinion, if you give up processed foods and change your ways, it's quite possible your need for prescription pills may decline.  Without the proper guidance you too may hear that fat lady singing.  Be careful.  Have a great day.

No comments: